- know different prefabrication and modular building methods.
- know different structural options.
- know the dis-/advantages of every solution.
- are aware of health and safety issues related to co-workers, building site, machinery, equipment, PPE (personal protective equipment) and the issues specific to work with straw and straw bales.
- can organize building sites at all stages ( i.e.: take responsibility to leave the building site rain- and windproof, keep strawstacks fire protected, remove loose straw after work,…).
- can take responsibility for the requirements of straw building in a “normal” building routine.
- know the details (window, roof junction,… ) for prefabricated walls and modules.
- practical training, supervising training work
- different construction options for prefabrication and their characteristics and bale requirements
- fixing bales with different techniques
- compressing bales with different systems
- advantages and disadvantages of infill contruction techniques
- details of connections: foundation, corners, windows and doors, roof, etc.
- preparing different surfaces for plastering
- viewing and study of existing building samples
- working groups
- preparing wooden frames and structures
- infill straw bales in standing position (“on edge”)
- compress the bales with different techniques
- fixing the bales in the construction
- airtight/windproof installation of a window
- shaving the bales, if necessary
- preparing bales/boards for plastering
Materials/Documents: U2 S5 – Session Plan
Training Time: 2 days